A UK Trademark registration protects your rights in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and is ideal if you do not trade or operate anywhere outside the UK.
An EU Trademark registration protects your rights in the 28 member countries of the EU.
With Brexit you can still potentially file for an EU trademark, but it will not longer include the UK. Even without the UK, the EU Trademark the mark of choice for many businesses who currently trade across the European Union, or who plan to expand into Europe in the future).
While considerably cheaper than filing individual trademark applications in each EU member country, an EU Trademark is much more costly than a standard UK Trademark.
UK Trademark applications operate under the following fee structure.
- £200 for your first Trademark Class
- £50 for each additional Trademark class
EU Trademarks applications operate under the following fee structure.
- €850 for your first class of goods or services or €1000 if filed on a paper form
- €50 for your second class
- €150 for your third class
- €150 for your fourth and all subsequent classes